23 July 2012

Suitcase. Maldives





I don’t know about you, but my number one travel destination has always been the Maldives. Pristine white sands, aquamarine blues, vibrant coral reefs, and the world’s only underwater restaurant! I’m not sure when I first decided this was the place for me, but for as long as I can remember, I have been telling all who will listen that I will one day be honeymooning on Maldive beaches.

This divine holiday spot has been relegated to my premier honeymoon destination for two reasons. One, when I visit this magical place I want it to be a vacation to remember, so what better way to do this than to celebrate a life changing event with the one I love! And two, everyone knows the Maldives is one of the priciest holiday destinations around, so, in my true ‘old-world traditional’ outlook, it is only fair that after the bride’s family pays for the wedding, the groom pays for my dream honeymoon! Future husband, if you’re out there, you better start saving now!

Here are some of the things I’ve been dreaming about doing whilst in the Maldives

  1. Watch the sun set over the ocean – apparently the Maldives is one of the best spots around for this romantic view. Something to do with the latitude… or the longitude…? I can’t remember.
  2. Spend a day island hopping. The Maldives is home to 26 chains of islands (1190 islands in total), that means plenty of boat trips and plenty of exploring, a perfect way to work on my tan.
  3. Indulge in local cuisine, there is a traditional green banana curry I’m dying to try. And more importantly, treat myself to some local cocktails, someone’s gotta taste test everything on the menu… you know, to ensure it’s up to standards.....
  4. Enjoy a romantic dinner on a private island.
  5. Crab racing – don’t ask me how this works, apparently there’s a bottle of champers up for grabs, so I’m in.
  6. And my number one thing to do – eat at the world’s first underwater restaurant Ithaa. Dining 16ft below sea level would truly be an incredible experience, sipping champagne whilst all matter of marine life swim past. It brings “dinner and a show” to a whole new level.

Photos by VisitMaldives and Ithaa.