28 September 2012

Eat Me. Hanoi Hannah Prahran, Melbourne





I’m back in Melbourne again, and thank goodness because I was running low on restaurant reviews – after all, the Gold Coast is a little lacking in the dining scene. This trip I visited Hanoi Hannah, a Vietnamese style cafĂ© in Prahran. This quaint little spot is tucked into a non-descript lot on High Street but once inside it feels as though you are transported to a warehouse scene in downtown Ho Chi Minh.

You can’t make a booking at Hanoi Hannah so you’ve got to just try your luck when you arrive. Despite the restaurant only holding around a dozen tables, we weren’t waiting too long even though it was a Saturday night. Luckily the tables turn-around fairly quickly.

The menu consists of Vietnamese street food with an English twist. My girlfriend and I ordered the Peking duck rice paper rolls (Unfortunately I don’t have a picture of these, they were so delicious we devoured them before I remembered to take a photo!), pork belly sliders and Hanoi style spring rolls. Everything was lip-smackingly good! The duck rolls were so delicious and the accompanying satay sauce was even better, I’d love the recipe for that one! The pork belly sliders were scrumptious miniature burgers with crispy pork and tangy aioli. I was a little wary about ordering the Hanoi spring rolls as I don’t really enjoy deep-fried food, however I needn’t have worried – they were so great. Served with lettuce cups, you wrap the rolls in the cups and dip them in a tangy, fresh lime sauce – flavour sensation!

Don’t go here expecting a fancy dinner but for an easy, yummy, cheap and casual night you can’t beat it. 3.5/5, I’m sure more points will be awarded when I next return, I’m dying to try more items on the menu.

Where: 180 High Street Prahran VIC 3181
Bookings: not accepted
Phone: (03) 9939 5181

Photos by Krissie.

Hanoi Hannah on Urbanspoon