16 October 2012

Eat Me. Hanaichi Broadbeach



Wandering around Pacific Fair last week I stumbled across my lunch – Hanaichi; a Japanese restaurant that, in a bid to stand apart from all the rest, doesn’t serve sushi! Now being the naive Australian that I am, I was a little unsure as to what else constituted Japanese food that didn’t involve seaweed-wrapped rice. But, I was delighted to find a range of quality, healthy food. Dishes included teriyaki chicken, Japanese curry, udon noodles and tempura. Full menu found here.

Hanaichi is a bit like Japanese fast-food, whilst there are no burgers or fries involved, there is a basic menu, the food is super-speedily made and is served in paper bowls… Ok I guess the similarities end there, but if you dine at Hanaichi you will see what I mean; it’s casually delicious food, and a total bargain.

I ordered a small chicken teriyaki with rice, and trust me it is more than enough unless you are used to eating a small child at meals. A word to the wise, unless you are a serious fan of pickled-anythings, I would steer clear of the yellow thingy on the left; no idea what it is but it tastes a little strange. Chopsticks abound for the co-ordinated few, otherwise there are forks-a-plenty for us westerners. Hanaichi's are in Brisbane, Gold Coast and Melbourne. 3/5.

Where: Shop 46 Pcaific Fair, Hooker Boulevard Broadbeach QLD 4218
Bookings: not necessary
Phone: (07) 5526 9522

Photo by Krissie.