19 December 2012

Plate Up. Banana & Oat Muffins







Whilst I was in America recently I stumbled across the idea of a ‘breakfast muffin’ – a muffin that whilst sweet in nature, has some health benefits allowing it to pass as a suitable source of sustenance to break-the-evening’s-fast.

When I came to making my own I was a little unsure of what main ingredients to include. After much deliberation I decided on bananas (because they were overripe in my fruit bowl) and oats (because who doesn’t love porridge for breakfast?). Now bananas and I have always had a bit of strained relationship [although I do like ladyfingers!]; there are rare moments when I absolutely must have one, and I do like banana bread, but most of the time I’m really not into them by themselves. But, problem solved, because in these muffins, bananas (no matter how ripe), are delish! The recipe makes 12, enjoy!

What you’ll need
1 cups plain flour
½ cup wholemeal flour
½ cup caster sugar
½ cup rolled oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ cup butter milk (if you don’t have butter milk use regular milk and add ½ teaspoon vinegar)
1 egg
1 dessert spoon honey
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
¼ cup melted butter
2 mashed bananas

What to do
Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius and line your muffin tin.

In a small bowl, mix dry ingredients together. In a large bowl, whisk wet ingredients together. Gently fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stop as you see the last bit of flour disappear. Don’t over mix. Pour batter into muffin tin and bake for 18 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Cool in tin for 5 minutes and enjoy warm or cool for later. Muffins keep well frozen for a month.

Photos by Krissie.