1 April 2013

One Day. Can you make a mistake and miss your fate?



Fate. The development of events outside of a person’s control, regarded as determined by a supernatural power. Something that’s destined to happen in a particular way.

I’ve always thought of myself as a believer in fate.

“Everything happens for a reason.”
“If it’s meant to be it’ll be.”
“Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like.”

I particularly like that last one from Lemony Snicket.

But in saying I believe in fate isn’t that just like saying that we’re not really responsible for the path our lives take? That everything is predestined? That’s why when I start pondering this subjective topic for too long, I start to pick holes in the theory.

Surely my life would turn out differently depending on every little decision I make every day. Or is every decision I’ll make already written in the stars? As a SATC fan I’d like mention something the wise Carrie Bradshaw said; “People say ‘everything happens for a reason’, these people are normally women who are sorting through a break-up.” In this case, is fate just a cop-out, a way of relinquishing control so we don’t have to feel guilty about whether the choices we make are right or wrong? I’m really not sure…

As much as I think about it, I can’t wrap my head around whether decisions choose us or we choose the decisions. I guess I could test the theory by doing something totally brash tomorrow like shaving my head, getting a tattoo and moving to the Bronx to see if my life path would change... But it seems that cheeky fate knows me too well, because there’s not a chance I would do that.

Fate 1, Krissie 0.

Photo by Anon.