29 May 2013

Plate Up. Carrot Cake





If a ‘Sara Lee anonymous group’ existed I would have to be the founding member. For as long as I can remember I’ve had a deep-seated love of Sara Lee cake; particularly chocolate and carrot. The chocolate was and continues to be a serious love affair, whilst the carrot is a bit of an on-again off-again fling. Over the years I’ve tried to replicate Sara’s chocolate cake but so far no success. Nothing seems to beat it; so sadly no dice there. I’m beginning to think it contains some illegal substance that makes it so additive. But last week I decided it was time to try my hand at a carrot cake and see how close I could get to Sara’s version of this flavour. And I think I’m pretty close; whilst this cake doesn’t have quite the same texture, I think the flavours are fairly spot on. Give it a try and see what you think.

What you’ll need
Cake
3 carrots
1 cup self-raising flour
½ cup plain flour
1 teaspoon bi-carb soda
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup melted butter
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup golden syrup
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Icing
250g spreadable cream cheese
½ cup icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

What to do
Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Grease a 20cm round spring-form tin lightly with oil and line base with grease-proof paper.

Peel and grate your carrots (it’s quite the work out, read here) and set aside. Sift the flours, bi-carb soda and cinnamon into a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, oil, golden syrup, eggs and vanilla and whisk until combined. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and use a wooden spoon to stir gently until just combined. Stir in the grated carrot.

Pour the mixture into your cake tin and bake for an hour, but make sure you’re keeping a close eye on it from about 50 minutes. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes before placing on a cooling rack.

Make icing by combining ingredients and mixing until well combined.

Ice cake when cool and enjoy with a cup of tea!

Photos by Krissie.