26 June 2013

Eat Me. Pigs and Pints, Chevron Island





I found myself at Pigs and Pints on the weekend by default, but boy am I glad that I did. It all started when a girlfriend who was up from Melbourne suggested dinner plans. Perfect, I thought we’d head to Samphire Bites which I’ve been meaning to try; it’s a tapas place on Chevron that is generating a lot of hype. But when I called to book I was informed that I’d just missed them; their last night was Friday because they’re moving to a larger space in Broadbeach (will definitely be visiting them there!). Anyway the cheerful fellow on the phone told me I’d got through to Pigs and Pints which was previously next door to Samphire and was now taking over their space as well. “Very good,” I said, “book us a table.”

I arrived not really knowing what to expect but I’d had a quick look at their menu on their website and it looked pretty good. Burgers and beer you can’t go wrong. (Anyone who knows me will know I’m guilty of doing this with every restaurant I visit, to the extent that I’ll actually pick my meal before I get there!).

Before I launch into how amazing it was, let me tell you just how excited I am to have found this little gem on the Gold Coast. I had such a great night! Firstly, we ordered cocktails which were pretty darn amazing. I had the ‘where’s my pancakes’ which has scotch, maple syrup, lemon and ginger ale; it was so delicious and not like anything I’d tasted before so full marks for originality. Our waiters were also really lovely and gave us great, friendly service.

The setup here is super cute; everyone gets a little chalkboard menu, your drinks come in jars, your water glasses are beer steins and your plate is a rustic-looking tile. Really cool and the food is amazing! We ordered a selection of little burgers which come out served in a wooden box, it’s beyond divine, you have to see it! Each burger is only about 3 mouthfuls but they sure are delectable ones! I had the crispy beef and the thai salmon which were both so yummy and full of flavour. I also had a little side of coleslaw. This, plus my cocktail, was enough to fill me up but I can’t wait to try the rest of the menu. Plus, not only is it delicious, it’s cheap! Each burger is $5 and the sides are $2.5; these include various salads, chips, potato gems, etc. Admittedly, I’m not a huge, hungry, burly man, however even if you devoured 4 burgers and 2 sides I’d say a delicious feed for $25 is really great.

I cannot express to you enough how much you should visit this little place. It opened this year in January and I’m so glad I discovered it because really, up until now, I wouldn’t have ever known it was there.

So go forth, enjoy! But I hope you all don’t make it too busy that I can’t get a seat because I’ll be back this week for sure. Happy to announce this is my first ever 5/5. Cheers to Pigs and Pints.

Where: 54 Thomas Drive, Chevron Island QLD 4217
Bookings: recommended
Phone: (07) 5504 6404

Photos by Krissie


Pigs and Pints on Urbanspoon