15 July 2013

Eat Me. The Mess Hall, Melbourne


I made a quick trip down to Melbourne on the weekend to visit the family. I had a great couple of days catching up with Dad, shopping [way too much] and dining with friends. Saturday morning I had breakfast at The Mess Hall; a little cafe at the top end of Burke St near Parliament House. The venue for this cafe is full of old world Melbourne charm as it's housed in a historic city building not unlike a terrace house; narrow at the front and long to the back.

Mess Hall is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and after experiencing it's quirky, friendly feel I'd be keen to return. I ordered the museli with yoghurt and poached rhubarb which was really nice. I'm in a bit of museli phase at the moment after discovering an amazing homemade recipe for it (I'll be sure to share with you soon), so now I feel rather inspired to poach some rhubarb at home to add to mine! They also have a good selection of herbal teas, I had ginger and lemongrass which was very refreshing.

Overall a yummy, carefree breakfast; perfect for a catch up with old friends. 4/5

Where: 51 Bourke Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
Bookings: not neccessary
Phone: (03) 9654 6800

The Mess Hall on Urbanspoon