8 July 2013

Plate Up. Coconut Rough Slice





I have very fond memories of going to the corner store with coins from my piggy bank and purchasing ‘Golden Roughs’ as a child; you know those round chocolates in gold paper. These were one of my favourites when I was little and occasionally I’ll pick one up now when the craving strikes me, although they seem to be rarer these days. So with this love of Golden Rough’s steeped in my childhood memories I was so excited when I came across this recipe for a coconut rough slice. It’s so delicious and tastes just like my old favourite Golden Rough’s. One bite will take you back…

What you’ll need
Base
3 teaspoons cocoa (something nice and rich with good flavour, I used Cadburys)
1 cup self-raising flour
good pinch of salt
1/3 cup caster sugar
¼ cup desiccated coconut
115g butter, melted

Topping
3 tablespoons condensed milk
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 cup icing sugar
30g butter, softened
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

What to do
Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Sift the cocoa, flour and salt into a large bowl. Add sugar and coconut, followed by melted butter. Mix together. Press firmly into a greased lamington tin (18cm x 28cm) and bake for 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack but add the topping while the slice is still warm. To make the topping, mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl and spread the mixture over the slice. Dust with icing sugar and cut into long fingers or if you really want to replicate the classic, rounds! I hope you love it as much as I do.


Photos by Krissie.