23 December 2013

Style It. How to make a flower crown

It must have been 12 months ago now that images started to emerge of girls with huge floral garlands in there hair [oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair]. These fashion forward chicks were seen at festivals, weddings and photoshoots. By now the trend is well and truly mainstream so I thought I'd give you a little tutorial on how to make your own. When I went to embrace the "flowers-in-my-hair" trend a few months back I couldn't really find what I was after. That's when I decided to make my own and trust me it's really really simple and cheaper too.


You'll need a packet of florist metal twine (I got mine from Spotlight for a couple of dollars), a selection of your favourite artificial flowers (make sure they have wire stems as you're going to wrap them and they'll need to hold their place) and a pair of sharp pliers.

Take four pieces of the twine from your packet and twist them round each other in pairs so you're left with two entwined lengths. Then shaping these to fit your head, overlap the ends and wrap them together so it all joins together in a circle. Don't worry if it's not perfect by the time it's covered with your flowers you won't see any imperfections just make sure it fits well on your head.



Now for the fun part... placing your flowers. If you want a big crown like this one, my suggestion would be to go for a mixture of large and small flowers; that way they fit together nicely and you won't end up with any spaces. Pick a feature bloom like my red one to place off centre; you don't want it to look too placed. Then alternate colours and sizes. Attach the flowers by holding the head of the flower in place and gently wrapping the stalk around your crown base. You'll need to make sure you get your first couple of wraps nice and tight then trim off the excess stem with your pliers. You could also go for a row of small simple flowers or even a cluster just on one side. The options are endless.


Now off you go to skip through the grass fields in your white dress whilst strumming your guitar!

Photos by Krissie