12 May 2014

Eat Me. Bonita Bonita, Mermaid Beach

The Mexican food craze has officially hit the Gold Coast; in the last month at least three new Mexican restaurants have opened here - which is quite considerable since our food scene is relatively small. I for one am really happy because I love burritos, enchiladas, guacamole and sangria - yum, yum, yum. Located on the western side of the Gold Coast Highway at Mermaid Beach, Bonita Bonita is the latest Mexican to open its doors. I was expecting low-key street style food but I can tell you it is so much more than that!


This place has a really great vibe with an authentic themed fit-out and candles EVERYWHERE! It really creates a great ambience. We sat at the bar and spent our evening watching experienced bartenders mix up some delicious looking cocktails. The beverage list has a great range of choices, some classic and some new and inventive. The menu is fairly refined but still offers plenty of choice; there are entrees and snacks to share including chips and guacamole, fish ceviche, sticky ribs and wings - it all looks really delcious. Then there is a large selection of tacos and burritos that you buy separately ($9) which I found great as you could try a few different flavours. Some choices were beef, chicken, ham hock, pulled pork, fish and vegetable.


My friend and I started with some chips and guacamole which were really delicious; the chips seem like homemade oven roasted  tortilla ones and the guac had great flavour. Next I had two burritos; the pulled pork with pineapple salsa and the fish. Both were really lovely and full of great flavours - I would highly recommend!



This is definitely a place to check out if you're a local. I enjoyed a night of great food and good vibes. 5/5

Where: 2460 Gold Coast Highway, Mermaid Beach QLD 4218
Bookings: this place is pretty popular so I would recommend booking
Phone: (07) 5575 2669

Photos by Krissie.

Bonita Bonita on Urbanspoon