23 May 2014

Plate Up. Seafood Chowder

If I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life I think it would probably be seafood [and perhaps some bread too, am I allowed both?]. I adore oysters, prawns, crab, fish, octopus, scallops - you name it, I love it. Which is why I was so excited when a friend recommended this soup to me, particularly coming into the chillier months of the year. The recipe is very simple but it really has such lovely flavour and you feel pretty good eating it too with all the veggies. The milk makes it lovely and creamy without the guilt of using actual cream. It's definitely a winner in my kitchen.


What you'll need
1 onion, chopped
30g butter
2 rashers bacon, diced
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 capsicum, diced
2 medium potatoes, cut in 1cm cubes
30g plain flour
250g fish (I used cod)
100g peeled prawns
600ml milk
150ml water
grated cheese for garnish

What to do
In a large pot, fry the onion and bacon gently in the butter until onion is translucent and soft. Add the aromatics, using 3/4 of the parsley. Add the vegetables and stir. Add the flour and season well with salt and pepper. Stir again until the flour is evenly distributed.

Now add a third of the milk and stir well before adding the remaining milk and the water. Bring up to the boil stirring frequently to prevent catching. Turn the heat down low and simmer very gently for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. If the mixture seems too thick add a little water.

While the soup simmers, cut your fish into small pieces and peel your prawns. Add the fish in as the vegetables get tender and then add the prawns to heat through about 3 minutes later. This should be perfect timing to cook your fish and warm your prawns. Serve with a sprinkle of cheese and the remaining chopped parsley.


Photos by Krissie.