5 September 2014

Style It. Shoes: an enduring love affair

First there was Cinderella, then there was Carrie Bradshaw... Ask any girl what her number one weakness is and I guarantee the most common answer will be shoes [closely followed by chocolate]. I, for one, am a self-confessed lover; in my opinion shoes make or break an outfit. I don't care if you're wearing a couture dress, if you've got cheap shoes on it might as well be an outfit from Target.


I never inherited an artistic gene in terms of artwork, but even shoes bring out the best in me - I can't believe I managed to paint these water-colours. I hope you're impressed. There's just something about them, those shoes. The straps, the heel, the shape; they really have an allure that I don't think any other fashion item has. Deep down we all want a collection like Carrie - one that's stacked five boxes high and when you run out of wardrobe space you store them in the oven.



Us girls often ridicule each other when it comes to our spending and budgeting prowess but one thing we all understand is splurging on shoes. "Can't afford your rent this month but you bought a $800 pair of Jimmy Choo's - of course you did honey, I totally understand."

History confirms our love affair is real; during the recent global financial crisis, sales of most things plummeted but can you guess what was the one sector that grew? That's right, shoes. Not to mention the physical effect a great pair of shoes can have; high heels make us girls stand in a way that elongates our legs, lifts our bottoms and arches our backs. Even modern medicine agrees; researchers say that the area of the brain that controls our lust and sex drive is right next to the region that deals with the feet.

And we thought it was just our lust for gorgeous accessories talking...

Photos by Krissie.