30 April 2015

One Day. A Day In Richmond + Petersham Nursery

Last Saturday I took a trip to one of my favourite areas of London – the picturesque Richmond Upon Thames. This little corner of the city by the water has long been a favourite of mine since I first went for a job interview there on my second day in the UK.


For those who haven’t been to Richmond, let me paint the picture for you. It’s like a quaint village, home to yummy mummy’s who push strollers by the river, young couples with adorable dogs and a rather prominent rowing community. Not to mention it has a great many parks (one of which has live deer!) and a range of waterfront pubs perfect for sunset drinks.


Just past the centre of town you’ll find Petersham Nursery. I’d heard the whisper go round about this place not long after I moved here and I’d been wanting to go ever since. Saturday was the day – along with my friend and her mum (who’s visiting from Australia), we set off with grumbling tummies, ready for a lunch among the flowers.



Leather Jacket by River Island £100, Knit by River Island (sold out), Jeans by Billabong £50, Bag by Bershka £20




Off the main road up a little alley and past some cow paddocks you’ll find the entrance. The nursery of flowers blooms around the border whilst the restaurant and cafĂ© are housed in the centre in rustic-chic barns. I had quiche, salad and a sparkling elderflower (so British!), made extra nice by the fact that I was sitting in a greenhouse.



After lunch we took a stroll around the gardens and found ourselves in a delightful little home wares store, where I could have easily purchased half the shop (provided I had a very generous wage).


Then we headed for the town centre, walking along by the river before stopping for an ice-cream.


On the way, we lay down in a field of daisies and danced amongst the fallen petals of the cherry blossoms.



A cheerful fellow had his boat moored just as we strolled past and we were right on time for the 5.15pm trip – why not!? A short trip down to Teddington finished a wonderful day in this beautiful spot. If you haven’t already been to Richmond, I highly recommend you make it your next weekend trip.

Photos by Krissie.

Petersham Nurseries Cafe on Urbanspoon